One of the leading causes of visual impairment is Diabetic Retinopathy. This can damage the back of the eye (retina) and often causes blindness if not treated. So, to minimize the risk of vision loss, one must attend diabetic eye screening appointments. We have explained about diabetic eyes, risks, symptoms, and many things related to the Macular Oedema in the previous blog. Now, we will talk about treatments.
How diabetes affects your eyes-
Retina at the back of the eye converts light signals into electrical signals and then signals are sent to the brain which turns them into the images that we see. Retina receives blood with the help of tiny blood vessels. But high blood sugar levels can damage these blood vessels in three main stages.
- Background Retinopathy
- Pre-proliferative retinopathy
- Proliferative retinopathy
Proliferative retinopathy scars new blood vessels and tissues which are weak and bleed easily. This causes some loss of vision.
Shree Eye-care Hospital, the best eye-care hospital in Dehradun tells you about the treatments for diabetic retinopathy.
Laser treatment treats the new blood vessels and it is done because the new blood vessels tend to be very weak which can also cause bleeding into the eye. The treatment stops your vision from getting worse, but it can’t improve the vision.
- It includes shining a laser into the eyes and the patient will be given anesthetic drops to numb his eyes.
- Eye drops are used to make pupils wide and special contact lenses are used to keep eyelids open.
- It takes around 30-40 minutes to do laser treatment.
- The patient does not have to stay in the hospital overnight.
- It is not painful, but you may feel a sharp pricking sensation which will disappear in no time.
Shree Eye-Care Hospital has the best laser treatment for advanced diabetic retinopathy. We have experienced eye specialists who give green laser treatment to their patients, safest type of treatment and it is proven to be quite comfortable for patients.